Community colleges lifted via Obama19 May 2015
Six years before he proposed making community college free for students, President Barack Obama called for 5 million additional college graduates by 2020, invoking President Franklin Roosevelt and the G.I. Bill and asking for $12 billion over the next decade to reform and strengthen two-year colleges.
Community college leaders from across the nation gathered at the 95th American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) Convention in San Antonio, Texas, this year. The event is punctuated by the Hail & Farewell Luncheon, in which AACC leaders salute outgoing CEOs for their years of service.0 comments
City College of San Francisco students and teachers marched to San Francisco City Hall on Thursday to protest the abrupt closure of the college’s Civic Center campus. The Civic Center was closed in early January, several months after it was found to be seismically unsafe and in danger of collapse. The building, which was originally 0 comments
Although they often operate at the margins, nearly 22 percent of the nation’s community colleges are minority-serving institutions and are responsible for enrolling about 55 percent of college-going minorities, according to a new report released by the Center for Minority Servings Institutions at the University of Pennsylvania.0 comments
President Obama’s proposal of free community college, a theme he elaborated on in Tuesday night’s State of the Union Address, has caught the nation’s imagination at the very least, even if some are saying that it is too visionary to ever be implemented.0 comments
22 May 2015
When Nicole Sanders brought a couple of signs to campus to recruit for the Young Americans for Liberty chapter she was trying to start at Blinn College, she attracted plenty of attention - but not the sort she wanted.
22 May 2015
School officials are saying they can’t keep and attract quality professors due to their inability to offer raises to their best instructors. This comes at a time where community colleges are expected to train a ready workforce, especially in manufacturing and health care.
- Expert: U.S. Must End ‘Addiction’ to Bachelor’s Degrees
- Carteret Community College Veterans Center opens
- Report: Illinois college chiefs living in ‘fantasy world of lavish perks’
- SCC President On: Bachelor’s Degrees at Solano Community College
- Deciding between career or community college
- State study finds Blue Ridge Community College to be a high-performer - 89,931 views
- Guest column: Grand Rapids Community College has done a lot to control its costs - 54,907 views
- Hanson ready to lead Louisiana Delta Community College - 38,441 views
- Community college boards lose power, stature as system changes - 35,880 views